Jenny Lai is a Barrister-at-Law of the Lincoln’s Inn in UK. She was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 1994 and she established her own practice in 1996 at the age of 28. Prior to that, she had interned at M/s Lee & Lee and trained at the now dissolved M/s GK Seah & Co and M/s Assomull & Partners. She went on to be a legal associate at M/s Assomull & Partners, the now dissolved M/s William Lai & Alan Wong and M/s Yu & Co before starting her own practice.
With passion, compassion and perseverance, over the years, Jenny mastered the art of practising law and came to specialize in the areas of family law, real estate and conveyancing, Wills, trusts and probate.
As an experienced and astute solicitor, Jenny provides valuable legal advice to clients who find themselves in difficult situations. As a family lawyer for more than two decades, Jenny had handled a myriad of cases ranging from the simple divorces to the extremely acrimonious ones that lasted for years and involved experts such as psychologists. Since divorces are often emotionally-charged, Jenny handles each case with understanding and dedication but maintaining appropriate assertions where necessary. In the process, strong and trusted relationships are established and sometimes friendships are fostered.
In the area of real estate and conveyancing, Jenny has completed many multi-million dollars transactions as high as $38M and handled countless complicated transactions such as those involving unregistered land, state land or trusts – many of these were completed within a short time frame. Jenny is a member of the Conveyancing Committee since 2014 and will continue to contribute so long as entrusted with the task.
Jenny also advises on estate planning, contract law and other areas of law. She has also successfully made representation and pleaded for reduced sentencing for clients involved in criminal cases.
Giving back to the community is important to Jenny. Despite her busy schedule, Jenny actively participates in grassroot programmes and contributes her time and legal expertise at legal clinics in the Courts and in the Community so as to help those in need of legal advice.
- Legal Adviser to the West Coast MPS
- Committee Member of Conveyancing Committee for 6years running
- Committee Member of the Law Society Family Law Practice Committee for 6 years.
- Member of the Law Society Family Pro Bono Services.
- Accredited SMC Family Law Mediator
- Active Mediator with the Family Court Legal Clinic and the Small Claims Tribunal
- Court-appointed Family Law Mediator with the Family Justice Courts
- Newly appointed to the CJC’s Panel of Primary Justice Lawyers.
- Completed the Harvard Law School Negotiation and Leadership programme
- Notary Public
- Commissioner for Oaths